Financial Accounting Analyst
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posted Date: 12/29/20
The AMF Financial Accountant/Analyst role will support AMF financial reporting, global forecasting, the company’s annual planning process, and implementing process improvements for vital financial objectives, including management reporting, forecast accuracy, and working capital improvements. This function acts as the analytical engine of AMF to provide insights and support optimal business decision making. The position is part of the global AMF finance team, reporting to the Manager FP&A of AMF, an operating company within the Markel Food Group.
How You Will Impact AMF:
- Financial Reporting – Responsible for coordinating the month-end and quarter-end closing process with the global controllership team and preparing accurate and timely financial reporting to Markel Corporation and AMF leadership, preparing reports, presentations, and routine business and Markel Board reviews.
- Financial Planning and Analysis – Help identify, analyze, and diagnose performance against key performance indices. Proactively monitor and bring awareness to the business leadership team’s risks and opportunities to influence timely business decision-making. Drive information, analysis, and conclusions necessary to allow the business to understand better its revenue, margin, channel, customers, and overall business effectiveness to improve performance and lead the company to more substantial business results. Collaborate with key business partners, especially global accounting teams, operations teams, and IT, to ensure the accuracy, integrity, and timing at which transactional and other vital data becomes available for analytical use. Complete ad hoc financial analysis, scenarios, ROI analyses, and planning work as needed. Monitor, calculate and track key financial metrics.
- Financial Acumen – Ability to understand how decisions affect the bottom line; knowledge about general financial and accounting principles and practices that impact operations; knowledge about the links between operations and the company’s financial performance is essential to create value for all stakeholders of the organization.
- Results Focused – Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is regularly and consistently one of the top performers in the organization; very bottom-line oriented and strategically focused; steadfastly pushes self and others for results. Delivers error-free work and does so with great attention to detail and a high level of integrity.
- Leads with Values – Drives to win in a way that demonstrates values: respect for the individual’s dignity, uncompromising integrity, trust, credibility, continuous improvement, personal renewal, recognition, and celebration.
- Relationship Building/Communication Skills – Demonstration of exceptional verbal skills in interpersonal interactions and instructional delivery to achieve the intended purpose. Preparing written material that is appropriate for the audience, is creative, and accomplishes the intended purpose. Builds effective trust and credibility relationships with internal customers, leading to more substantial buy-in and sponsorship within their businesses.
- Leads Change – Drives organizational and cultural changes needed to adapt strategically to changing market demands, technology, and internal initiatives; introduces and implements new approaches to improve results by transforming corporate culture, systems, or products/services.
What You Need To Succeed:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting / Finance and MBA or CPA desired
- Three years’ experience in the delivery of management/financial reporting and finance systems & processes
- Demonstrated sound analytical depth and strong technical capability in finance or accounting methods
- Excellent communication and relationship skills to be able to build and maintain effective relationships with internal and external clients and partners
- Be experienced in Microsoft Office software (Excel, Word, Access, and PowerPoint), budgeting, financial reporting, and general ledger software (ERP’s and Hyperion a plus)
- Exceptional organization skills and ability to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines