Location: Richmond, VA
Posted Date: March 13, 2019
The position is part of the global AMF leadership team with dual reporting to the President of AMF and to the CFO for Markel Food Group. The AMF VP Finance is responsible for all AMF finance, accounting, forecast, planning, and IT functions. This leader works closely with Sales, Marketing, and Manufacturing to understand key risks & opportunities and turn them into actionable information. This position plays a stewardship and advisory role to the management team including deal making support, pricing administration and marketing programs.
How You Will Impact AMF (included, but not limited to):
- Develop and execute the financial strategy of the company including building a world-class finance and accounting team through continuous improvement and Markel Business System (MBS) discipline and certifications.
- Design and implement productivity measures for the finance team to better set goals and manage objectives and talent. Identify and managing risks related to international business and key accounts such as contracts, currency and other banking and legal risks.
- Understand system opportunities to provide critical financial and operational information. Work with MBS office and make suggestions for automating processes and increasing working efficiency.
- Design pricing strategy and provide advice on how to increase revenue and profitability.
- Ensure full transparency over the financial performance of the company.
- Effectively and clearly communicate potential risks in a timely manner.
- Propose action plans to ensure that annual financial objectives are attained.
Cost Accounting and Controllership
- Deep knowledge of cost accounting with ability to optimize project costing process. Simplify, automate and consolidate processes and increasing working efficiency and productivity across AMF Define accounting policies, processes and internal controls for AMF.
- Design and drive productivity measures and improvements. Lead company-wide cost initiatives.
- Ensure financial statement compliance with U.S. GAAP, including compliance with the company’s policies and procedures.
- Provide technical accounting support and decision making, especially in the areas of revenue recognition, reserves and accruals.
- Review significant contracts to ensure accounting issues are identified and accounted for appropriately.
- Assist in or manage the team responsible for the review of balance sheet account reconciliations, journal entries, and other items associated with the month-end and quarter-end closing process.
- Ensure compliance with Sarbanes Oxley and support all internal control policies as required.
- Provide support for and coordination of audit activity and resources, both internal and external.
- Work with MFG and liaise with Markel Ventures accounting, planning and tax for required reporting and activities.
- Direct the global finance team for statement preparation, internal controls and reviews, and audits.
- Evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of the closing process and define ways to use existing tools to simplify.
- Ensure that all ledgers and reports are closed and prepared in a timely and accurate manner.
- Prepare consolidated business financial statements including appropriate consolidation level entries and HFM reporting.
- Manage the sales and revenue reporting process, including sales forecasting, tracking and revenue recognition at the consolidated level.
- Develop and present monthly financial reporting package and operations review.
- Analyze results vs. forecast, plan, and prior year benchmarks.
- Provide additional analysis and financial support for standard and ad hoc reporting requirements.
Financial Planning and Analysis
- Manage the analysis of actual operating performance in-line with operating plan, prior year results and current forecast to provide information to allow business leadership to make informed decisions and drive business growth and cost reductions.
- Lead and administer long-term strategic and operational planning and budgeting in support of sales, service and operations, operating expense initiatives, capital expenditures, working capital, and cost reduction activity.
- Direct the preparation of the monthly financial forecast – sales, revenue, expense, operating profit, working capital, and cash.
- Analyze and communicate risks and opportunities to management for decision making.
- General knowledge of corporate tax, sales/use tax and international tax including employment regulations.
- Manage outside tax advisors and coordinate other external resources.
- Manage tax installment payments to ensure penalties are minimized.
- Coordinate and prepare income tax provisions.
- Research and respond to tax-related queries.
- Liaise with Markel Ventures tax department and manage transfer pricing, including transfer pricing documentation, audit defense, and planning.
IT and System
- Recommend information technology strategies to management.
- Direct the design, development and maintenance of systems to meet the management information needs of the company and minimize cyber risks.
- Establish procedures to evaluate organization outcomes; identifying problems; evaluating trends; anticipating requirements.
- Responsible for technology application and infrastructure teams.
- Oversee deployment of ERP system to all AMF entities worldwide and ensure efficiencies and cost reductions associated with ERP deployment plan are achieved.
- Responsible for goal setting for the finance team and providing direction, guidance and on-going coaching to ensure achievement of the goals.
- Responsible for development, training opportunities and succession planning to increase bench strength of the team.
- Create and maintain a culture of high performance and engagement.
- Support the team environment and promote a proactive attitude towards continuous improvement.
What You Need To Succeed (Leadership Imperatives/Competencies):
Strategic Thinking. Maintains a high degree of awareness of industry and international trends and dynamics; Keen understanding of linkages, trends and patterns that are not obvious to most others. Develops a comprehensive, broader, or longer-term view of information that will influence future plans. Consistently considers the long-range implications of information and actions.
Integration Assessment. Understands key business competencies, functions and business operating models to assess opportunities for integration within existing organization.
Results Focused. Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers in the organization; very bottom line oriented and strategically focused; steadfastly pushes self and others for results. Delivers error free work and does so with a high level of integrity.
Relationship Building/Communication Skills. Demonstrates exceptional verbal skills in interpersonal interactions and instructional delivery so that intended purpose is achieved. Prepares written material that is appropriate for the audience to accomplish the intended purpose. Builds effective relationships of trust and credibility with internal customers that lead to stronger buy-in and sponsorship within their businesses.
Leads with the Values. Drives to win in a way that demonstrates values: Respect for the Individual, Uncompromising Integrity, Trust, Credibility, Continuous Improvement and Personal Growth, Recognition and Celebration
Leads Change. Drives organizational and cultural changes needed to adapt strategically to changing market demands, technology, and internal initiatives; introduces and implements new approaches to improve results by transforming organizational culture, systems, or products / services.
Required Skills (included, but not limited to):
- Experienced financial professional with a BS/BA degree in Accounting or Finance, CPA a must. Public accounting experience strongly preferred
- Minimum 8 years professional experience with a minimum of 3 years global finance/accounting management experience working for multi-national companies. Manufacturing experience preferred
- Strong technical accounting background including US GAAP
- Tax experience is required
- Proven experience on Sarbanes Oxley compliance
- Prior experience in global consolidations and technical topics such as accounting for foreign exchange, tax accounting and accounting for acquisitions
- Demonstrated process improvement skills in accounting and finance
- Strong internal customer relationship & excellent communications skills; team player
- Proven experience leading teams (directly or indirectly)
- Experience and knowledge with ERP, HFM and general ledger systems
- Experience in interfacing with external auditors and knowledge of statutory reporting requirements
- Proven management experience in the areas of resource assessment and development and team-building
- Domestic and international travel-25%
Please submit resumes to AMF Recruiting.