For over a century, AMF Bakery Systems has been a leading innovator for the baking industry. With a worldwide network made up of thousands of bakery installations and proven successes, six manufacturing centers, and localized sales, service and support, AMF is the first truly global manufacturer of complete bakery solutions. We’ve been building our team of experienced bakery engineers since 1915, and we’ll continue to set the standard for innovation in the baking industry well into the future.
1915 – AMF Bakery Systems Founded
- Founded in Brooklyn, New York, as American Machine and Foundry, AMF manufactured a diverse set of products including baking and recreational equipment such as bowling and boating machinery – even owning Harley-Davidson motorcycles for a time.
1926 – AMF Rotary Pump Revolutionizes The Industry
- Eliminating reduction gears while permitting direct connection to any high-speed motor, AMF’s Rotary Pump revolutionizes the industry.
1930 – Markel Corporation Founded
1945 – AMF Canada Founded In Sherbrooke (Quebec, Canada)
1949 – AMF Develops Pretzel Bender
- AMF debuts machinery that twisted up to 50 pretzels per minute then moved them through the baking and salting process.
1950 – Reading Bakery Systems Designs First High-Volume Pretzel System
- Reading Pretzel Machinery designs a pretzel system with a continuous proofer, cooker, salter, oven, and dryer, which is sold to Thomas Pretzel Company.
1985 – Tromp Bakery Equipment Founded
- Founded in the Netherlands, Tromp Bakery Equipment becomes the premier supplier for sheeting and laminating equipment to the European baking industry.
1996 – Ken Newsome Is Named President of AMF Bakery Systems
1997 – Camtech Is Acquired By AMF
2005 – Markel Ventures Founded and Acquires AMF Baking Systems
- Markel Ventures, wholly owned subsidiary of Markel Corporation, acquires AMF Bakery Systems as the first of many businesses to come in the Company’s portfolio. Each Markel Ventures’ company continues to operate independently yet retains the benefit of the sound foundation of the Markel Corporation.
2010 – Markel Ventures Acquires Solbern, LLC.
- Headquartered in Fairfield, NJ, Solbern is the world’s leading manufacturer of can fillers, liquid fillers, pickle equipment, burrito folders, taquito rollers, and more.
2011 – Bake-Tech (Baking Technology Systems) Acquired By AMF
- Based in Tucker, Georgia, AMF BakeTech is a leading global supplier of continuous baking systems, with an equipment line that includes proofers, ovens, pan cooling systems, and product cooling systems.
2012 – Reading Bakery Systems Joins Markel
- Headquartered in Reading, Pennsylvania, Reading Bakery Systems is a leading global designer and manufacturer of industrial baking systems for the production of crackers, pretzels, cookies, and other baked snacks. Together, AMF, Reading Bakery Systems, and Solbern operate as the Markel Food Group to share technologies, resources, and leverage the Group’s global infrastructure.
2012 – Tromp Bakery Equipment Joins Markel
- Headquartered in Gorinchem, the Netherlands, Tromp Bakery Equipment is a global designer and manufacturer of high-tech food processing equipment which designs and manufactures baking equipment and sheeting lines for pizza, pastry, pie, and specialty bread makers worldwide.
2012 – Markel Food Group Formed with AMF Bakery Systems, Reading Bakery Systems, Tromp Group and later Solbern
- Combining worldwide, innovative bakery and solutions, the Markel Food Group now covers the entire baking spectrum throughout the globe.
2013 – Solbern Food Processing Equipment Joins Markel Food Group
- Solbern is the world’s leading manufacturer of container filling and dough folding equipment, specializing in rolled breads like tortillas, egg rolls, and burritos.
2015 – Gorinchem Innovation Center Opens
- Located in the Netherlands, the Gorinchem Innovation Center is introduced to help educate bakers, develop new products, test equipment, and validate ingredients.
2019 –AMF and Tromp Group Integrate to Unify Global Strategy
- AMF Bakery Systems integrates Tromp Group, the parent brand for Tromp Sheeting and Depositing Systems (now AMF Tromp) and Den Boer Baking Systems (now AMF Den Boer), into AMF to better serve commercial and retail bakers around the globe.
Today, our integrated company serves bakeries around the world with best-in-class unit equipment and complete system solutions for a variety of baked goods, from soft bread and buns to artisan bread and rolls, pizza and flatbread, pastries and croissants, cakes and pies, and beyond.